I thought these few tips would somehow help us when we come to a point of discussing sensitive matters, including money matters. It's worth the read! ;)
- DO always use "I" and "we" in the discussion.
- DON'T use the word "you" because it places blame.
- DO make your partner know and make notice of upcoming conversations.
- DON'T make the habit of talking about sensitive money matter talks after work.
- DO celebrate minor successes like trimming your spending by $100 a month.
- DON'T focus on past mistakes by either one of you.
- DO try to avoid bringing up unrelated conflicts.
- DON'T talk about money when you're angry.
I consider this a "wake up call" for couple who are yet struggling not to argue when financial talks happen.