Friday, March 11, 2011

What's Flowing From Your Faucet?

Most treatment water plants are dosed with chlorine to kill parasites and viruses found naturally in fresh water sources.
Chlorine literally is a lifesaver in small doses, but studies show that long-term exposure to chlorine can lead to birth defects or miscarriage.

Let your glass with tap water sit for 5 minutes before drinking it because chlorine by-products evaporate naturally. Another option is to buy an inexpensive charcoal filter.

If you live in a home built before 1975, chances are you have pipes that contain lead which can get through your water. Even in small amounts can get you into trouble, and can lead to anemia, irritability and nerve damage.
Lead poisoning can also result to miscarriage and a host of fetal problems. What can you do is;-run your tap for 2 minutes to flush it out. Use that water to wash your hands or the dishes rather than putting the water into waste.

Bacteria such as E. Coli can also make way into your water from human and animal waste that run into reservoirs from broken pipes and sewage systems.
Purifiers nix most bacteria, but if your immune system is compromised, boil your water for 5 minutes.