Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Email Scam Alert!

I got an email which says like this 3 days ago. By just reading the first 2 paragraphs is already a red flag to me...smells fishy. Here it is:



"OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL SECURITY
ADVISERTO THE PRESIDENT FEDERAL
REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA

Good Day,

I am Lt. Gen.ALIYU MOHAMMED, National Security Adviser to President
Olusegun Obasanjo Federal Republic of Nigeria. I decided to contact
you becauseof the prevailing security report reaching my office and
the intense nature of policy in Nigeria.

This is to inform you about our plan to send your fund to you via cash
delivery. This system will be easier for you and for us. We are going
to send your contract part payment of US$10. Million to you via
diplomatic courier service.

I have secured every needed document to cover the
money. Note: The money is coming on 2 security proof boxes. The boxes
are sealed with synthetic nylon seal and padded with machine. This
fund was brought to us from America; it was meant for our Local AFEM
market.

But since the money was not used, I will use my position as the
National security Adviser to the President to send this fund to you.
Please you don't have to worry for any thing I will
finance the transaction.

The boxes are coming with a Diplomatic agent who will accompany the
boxes to your house address. All you need to do now Is to send to me
your full house address and your identity such as, international
passport or driver license including your contact phone numbers, The
Diplomatic attached will travel with it. He will call you immediately
he arrives your country's airport.

I hope you understand me. Please don't send money to any body in
Nigeria. Be warned.

I will let you know when the specialGrace of God will airlift the
boxes. Note: The diplomatic does not know the original contents of the
boxes.What l declared to them as the contents is Sensitive Photographic
Film Material.

I did not declare money to them please. If they call you and ask you
the contents please tell them the same thing Ok,i will let you know
how far I have gone with the arrangement. I will secure the Diplomatic
immunity clearance certificate that will be tagged on the boxes to
make it stand as a diplomatic consignment.

This clearance will make it pass every custom checkpoint all over the
world without hitch. Confirm the receipt of this message and send the
requirements to me immediately you receive this message.If you need
more information about this, i will give you the contact of the
diplomatic agents for more information on how to carry out the plan.

Note that all your response should go to my alternate email address:

Please I need urgent reply because the boxes are schedule to leave as
soon as we hear from you. Reply me immediately you receive thismessage.

Best Regards,
Lt. Gen.ALIYU MOHAMMED
National Security Adviser to the President
Federal Republic of Nigeria
email address: gen_aliyu0128@gmail.com

He even is using the names of high officials in Nigeria. I wonder how we can be able to trace this email sender who is taking his identity at risk just to scam for money!! I wonder what's the penalty for this if caught??!

Couple of years ago, I received a similar type of email like this, and the names of persons within it has only changed...geesh.
This is not only about money, but also a possible case of identity theft. There's no use replying to this scammer. But I am just curious how can we track one's IP address and locate where he is. It might not be the very exact location, but who knows, he is posing as Lt. Mohamed from Nigeria, but he is somewhere in another country.

It's a pity for the Nigerian officials being involved in this scam. How I wish this should reach their attention.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Ging ! This is my first time here and nice site sis! Anyway about your post re email scam alert, I receive a lot of those trash in my inbox too, so does my sister. If one is too gullible, he'd be lured into calling the number or the agent that is mentioned in the email but think about this, who in the big wide world would give a free sum of money to other people? That would be the height of being too charitable, don't you think ? But it would be a real big help though if only it's true, problem is, it's just a scam from those good for nothing scammers ...