Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Will you give this to my daddy?"

The title is an eye catching phrase. I am sure most of you would automatically think before you read the story, that this short phrase is coming from an innocent child longing for her daddy...so much powerful and touches your heart. I am always moved by this kind of story. This message was shared to me by a friend. So, I guess I would have to share it to everybody here as well.

As a Company, Southwest Airlines is going to support "Red Fridays."

Last week I was in
Atlanta , Georgia attending a conference. While I
was in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me
beginning to clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and witnessed
one of the greatest
acts of patriotism I have ever seen.

Moving thru the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camos. As they
began heading to their gate, everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly
to their feet with their hands waving and cheering.

When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and
cheered for, it hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red-blooded American who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young
unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so
we can go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal.

Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our
service men and women, a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old ran
up to one of the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said "hi."

The little girl then asked him if he would give something to her daddy
for her.

The
young soldier, who didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself,
said he would try and what did she want to give to her daddy. Then
suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the
biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little girl, who said her daughter's name was
Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and had
been in
Iraq for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her
daughter Courtney missed her father, the young soldier began to tear up.

When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all
of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second. Then one of the
other servicemen
pulled out a military-looking walkie-talkie. They
started playing with the device and talking back and forth on it.

After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to
Courtney, bent down and said this to her, "I spoke to your daddy and he
told me to give this to you." He then hugged this little girl that he
had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying
"your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and
he is coming home very soon."

The mom at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the young
soldier stood to his feet, he saluted Courtney and her mom. I was
standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire event.

As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people
resumed their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around,
there were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in
one last act of selflessness, turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.

We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families and
thank God for them and their sacrifices. At the end of the day, it's
good to be an American.

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing
Red every Friday. The reason? Americans who support our troops used to
be called the "silent majority". We are no longer silent, and are
voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers.

We are not organized , boisterous or over-bearing.. We get no liberal
media coverage on TV to reflect our message or our opinions. Many
Americans, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize
that the vast majority of Americans supports our troops.

Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity
and respect starts this Friday and continues each and every Friday
until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that. 'Every
red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar will wear
something red.'

By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every
Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the
bleachers.

If every one of us who loves this country will share this with
acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family. It will not be long before the USA is covered in RED and it will let our troop s know the
once "silent" majority is on their side more than ever; certainly more than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked "What can we do to make
things better for you?" is...We need your support and your prayers.

Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear something red every Friday.

0 comments: